Hey there! You’ve stumbled upon my social media marketing strategy project for my brand, Making It Up. For the whole month of March 2021, I’ll be learning the ins and outs of social media strategies to help my Instagram and Youtube Channel grow at a faster pace.
This month I’m going to spend my time:
- Learning how to manage a project.
- Researching social media strategies and how to measure metrics.
- Creating a social media strategy for Making It Up from scratch.
- Creating a social media scheduling plan to implement my strategy.
- Documenting my work, weekly.
Keep on reading to learn what I did this week! And click here to learn what I did last week.
What did I accomplish this week?
This week was the last stretch to completing my strategy. I mostly focused on creating my posting strategy for each platform and building two content calendars to put my social media marketing strategy in action!
Here’s what I did this week:
- I created my content posting strategies. Taking into consideration my analytics, buyer personas, and goals I set out to create my posting strategy for the type of content I should be posting on my socials and when I should be posting it.
- I created two content calendars. Once I nailed down my posting strategy I got to work on my content calendars. Based on the strategy, I came up with a month’s worth of content for my platforms and scheduled said content across two different calendars; one for my Youtube and one for my Instagram.
- I wrote a blog post on why content calendars are important. I also wrote a blog post sharing a bit of my process of building my content calendars and why I consider them to be important for independent content creators.
- I wrote my week three update blog post. To document my work this week I wrote the blog post you’re currently reading to update whoever is following along with my month-long social media marketing strategy project!
What went well?
This week I was able to stay on track and finish the final pieces of my social media strategy! Now all that’s left to do is put the pieces together and make them look nice and I’ll be good to go.
I also had the most fun this week because I finally got to the part I enjoy the most, which is coming up with content ideas. I felt much more informed now that I’ve done my research and I have a clearer picture of who my audience is, so I was able to spend some time coming up with creative content that I know my viewers will love.
What could improve?
I went into this week a little indecisive about the content I wanted to create around my project. I had an initial idea to document my work by doing a ‘strategy vs. plan’ blog post but quickly realized I didn’t even know what I wanted to say about strategies and plans. I wasted a lot of time figuring out how to make that idea work when, in hindsight, I should have used that time to think of a new documentation idea.
I did end up coming up with an idea that I liked much better and added value to the reader but I just wish I hadn’t wasted my time trying to make my failed idea work. Sometimes if things aren’t working, letting them go and pivoting to something else is the most beneficial thing to do.
But my biggest struggle this week was organizing my time. Thanks to my awesome project managing system, I still got every task done on time but I had a hard time focusing and setting specific times to work. I had an extremely busy week outside of the project and at times it felt like I’d never get time to sit down and just work on my strategy. I even had to repeat some elements of the project because I felt like they weren’t good enough and that set me back as well.
I’m glad I got everything done on time and with excellence but I had to go through a bunch of stress and anxiety to get there. Hopefully, things mellow down a bit next week. (I highly doubt it).
Coming up next week
Next week I’m focusing on gathering all of the separate elements I’ve been working on throughout the weeks and putting them together to complete my social media strategy. I’m also finally implementing my strategy on my social media channels! Here’s what I’ll be working on:
- Designing and putting together all the elements of my social media strategy
- Doing a mini-test of my strategy for a week and documenting it
- ‘Dissecting my social media marketing strategy’ blog post
- Week 4 update blog post
See you next week!
Curious about my social media marketing project? Click here to read about my entire journey!