Hey there! You’ve stumbled upon my social media marketing strategy project for my brand, Making It Up. For the whole month of March 2021, I’ll be learning the ins and outs of social media strategies to help my Instagram and Youtube Channel grow at a faster pace.
This month I’m going to spend my time:
- Learning how to manage a project.
- Researching social media strategies and how to measure metrics.
- Creating a social media strategy for Making It Up from scratch.
- Creating a social media plan to implement my strategy.
- Documenting my work, weekly.
Keep on reading to learn what I did this week!
What did I accomplish this week?
This week was mostly about preparing my project. Coming up with a stellar project idea, putting the pieces together, and learning how to manage my time. I needed to lay a strong foundation for my project to stand on to ensure a high success rate by the end of the month.
Here’s what I did this week:
- I created a project outline. I couldn’t start working on my project without knowing the weekly steps I have to take to complete it. I created a simple rough outline of what my project would look like week by week and what I want my results to be.
- I created my project landing page. Similar to my outline, I came up with a rough draft of my project landing page with ideas of the kind of content I want to include and how I want to present my project when it’s done.
I created my project management system using Notion. I used Notion to organize all my project tasks by weeks and deadlines to make sure I stay on top of my work. You can check out how I did that here.
- I did extensive research on social media marketing strategies. Before getting started with my strategy I researched what a social media marketing strategy is and everything that it takes to create one.
- I started building my social media strategy. This week I focused on coming up with S.M.A.R.T. goals for both my Instagram and Youtube and I did an audit for each platform to see what’s working and what’s not.
- I wrote two blog posts. To document my work this week I wrote the blog post you’re currently reading and a research guide to social media marketing strategies.
What went well?
Despite being a bumpy week, I was able to accomplish all the goals and hit the deadlines I set for myself. I’m very proud of my project management system because it’s what’s been keeping me from feeling overwhelmed with the number of tasks I have to do. It also makes me feel like I’m in control of what I’m doing and keeps the impostor syndrome at bay.
I’m confident that the project manager I built this week is going to keep me organized for the rest of the project.
I’m also very pleased that I was able to start working on my project from the get-go. I tend to get in my head with all the planning and refuse to start anything if my plan isn’t completely done. But this week I challenged myself to stop dreaming and start doing. It feels very motivating and I’ve made a lot of progress already!
What could improve?
The thing that I struggled with the most with this week was being overwhelmed. Starting something new and seeing how much you need to do before you reach your ultimate goal is overwhelming. It’s normal to feel like it’s too much at times. But I let that feeling suffocate me to the point where I had to step away from my project and revisit it later. The project manager helped me overcome that towards the end of the week, but I still let it affect my work.
So next week, whenever I feel overwhelmed with the amount of work I’ve yet to do; I’m gonna give myself a few minutes to pause, journal to work my feelings out, and get back to work with a clearer mind. I don’t want to neglect my feelings but I also don’t want them to keep me from my work. So hopefully this method helps me over the next month.
I’ll keep you posted!
Coming up next week
Next week I’m focusing less on planning and more on building my project and documenting my steps. Here’s what I’ll be working on:
- Researching and creating a buyer persona for my followers
- Analyzing Instagram and Youtube data to start building my content strategy.
- ‘How to Create a Buyer Persona’ blog post
- Week 2 update
See you next week!
Curious about my social media marketing project? Click here to read about my entire journey!