Recently we had a writing project in school that was about interviewing someone you admired. I spent a lot of time thinking of someone who I admired and who I thought had very interesting things to share. I decided to do ColourPop because I find that they’re something very different from everyone who is out there, at least I think so. I decided to contact them via email and they answered very fast, faster than I expected. Jordynn from ColourPop answered my questions and I’m really glad that I got to have the experience. And I want to thank her and the rest of the ColourPop team for making the interview possible.
What was the idea behind ColourPop? Why did you feel the need to start the company?
- ColourPop was born, raised and made with love in the City of Angels (aka Los Angeles) so we can react quickly to the latest and greatest trends and get them in your fabulous hands stat.
- We take the phrase “if you can dream it, you can do it” to a whole new level and specialize in making killer makeup in every shade imaginable at prices everyone can afford. We think that whole barrier between fancy and affordable is absolute nonsense. That’s why all of our products have luxury formulas at prices that won’t break the bank.
In the process of coming up with colors, for both shadows and lippies, how are you able to come up with such unique colors?
- We get shade inspiration from EVERYWHERE! Sometimes someone from the office will come in with a new nail polish they are in love with and we will use it for shade inspo! We also pull inspiration from the Runway and trending looks on IG and Youtube. We love customer suggestions and get numerous emails of customer requests for specific shades!
I’m a fan of the names that you guys have for your products, can you give me an idea of how you guys come up with such creative names?
- We actually have a “name team” that comes up with all the shade names! They literally sit for hours and brainstorm fun names. We take naming very seriously and send all the selected names around the office for approval. We also keep a running list of name ideas up in the office so if anyone thinks of something clever on the fly we can write it down so we don’t forget it!
Are there any new products or other surprises coming for the colour pop fans?
- We are getting ready to launch our Spring Collection soon and it includes some HIGHLY requested shades that we are all very excited about! Keep your eyes peeled!
What is the role that social media has played in the process of ColourPop?
- Social media has been fabulous for us, it is currently our only form of marketing and we are growing faster than anyone could have ever expected!
I know you’ve collaborated with a bunch of Youtubers and Instagrammers, how do you choose which people to colab with?
- We try to pick people who we think are a good representation of our brand. We love collaborating with fun, creative, trendy ladies whose fans appreciate affordable high quality makeup and aren’t afraid to experiment with makeup and bright shades!
What is your favorite part about working in ColourPop?
- We are always moving at an extremely fast paced here at CP HQ! We are always reacting to the newest trends at lightning speed. That being said it takes a special team and environment to function successfully. One of the best parts of working at ColourPop – other than being surrounded by makeup 24/7 is our amazing team. Everyone is always giving their 100% and quick to help others if they need it. We wouldn’t be where we are today without every single person on our team!
How do you see ColourPop in ten years from now?
- Who knows! We are growing faster than we ever could have imagined now so I can’t even imagine where we will be in 10 years!!